The (00808-3 and 01141-0) Configuration-free wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS is approved for the European Union, while (01008-6 and 01148-9) Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC) is optimized for the US.
They both configuration-free wireless CAN bridge share the same functionality but have different radio transmitting schemes due to regulatory differences.
I. Major features Configuration-free wireless CAN bridge Kvaser
- A preconfigured pair of units that acts as a wireless CAN system gateway between two CAN networks.
- 4 GHz proprietary protocol.
- Point to point radio link.
- Internal antenna design, antenna output power max 18 dBm.
- Automatic baud rate detection (125K, 250K, 500K, 1M).
- Supports both 11-bit (CAN 2.0A) and 29-bit (CAN 2.0B active) identifiers.
- High-Speed CAN connection (compliant with ISO 11898-2), up to 1 Mbit/s.
- Power supplied through the CAN bus interface.
- Rugged aluminum housing.
- Plug and play, driver free, and configuration free.
- Note: “Error Frames” and “Arbitration” information are not transmitted by the Air Bridge units across the wireless link.
II. Certificate of compliance
- The Configuration-free wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (EAN: 73-30130-00808-3) has been tested and declared to be in conformity with the relevant Union harmonisation legislation Radio Equipment Directive (RED) 2014/53/EU (Art. 3.1a, 3.1b, and 3.2) and RoHS recast Directive 2011/65/EU (Art. 4.1).
III. Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS hardware
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS consists of two preconfigured and paired CAN bus units. Just connect and power them through your CAN system, no user configuration, software tools or drivers are required.
- When connected to your system, the two units will determine the bit rate used by the attached CAN systems using Automatic Baud Rate Detection (autobaud),
- Once the autobaud detection has completed successfully, the units will transmit CAN messages back and forth until the units are powered down.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS will only forward CAN messages between the two attached CAN networks. Error frames and arbitration information will not be forwarded since this information is only applicable for the local physical network.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light H Configuration-free wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HSS has one CAN Hi-Speed channel with a CAN connector depending on the model. Either a 9-pin D-SUB or a 5-pin M12 Male connector is used.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS is powered through the CAN connector. To operate the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS, you must supply 9 V-36 V DC power through the CAN connector.
The functions of the LED indicators on the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS are shown in Table
CAN channel status, indicate received and sent messages.
|Radio Link status, indicate received radio packets and signal strength.|
Power indicates that the unit has been powered on and baud rates are established.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS provides an Autobaud Detection feature which will automatically detect and connect to any of the following CAN network bit rates:
- The Autobaud Detection is done locally, so a Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS can be used to bridge two different CAN networks operating at different bit rates. However, the amount of traffic on the networks will determine whether the system designer should allow the networks to be bridged via the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS.
- If, after 15 seconds of power on, only one of the paired units have done a successful Autobaud Detection, the other unit will be configured to the same CAN network bit rate. The Autobaud Detection will continue even after 15 seconds, if none of the supported CAN system bit rates have been detected on either of the connected CAN networks.
- For any additional/specific bit rate requirement, please contact GMGA for more info.
IV. Technical data Configuration-free wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS
TJA1051T (Compliant with ISO 11898-2)
|Built into the processor|
CAN Bit Rate
|Autobaud at 1 Mbit/s, 500 Kbit/s, 250 Kbit/s, and 125 Kbit/s|
Recommended maximum rate 1200 msg/s full duplex using 11-bit CAN identifier 1
|Approximately 5.5 ms 1|
2.4 GHz Gaussian Frequency-Shift Keying (GFSK) with Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) modulation
|2400 MHz to 2483.5 MHz (2.4 GHz band)|
Antenna Output Power
|Max 18 dBm|
Allowed operating voltage 9 V-36 V DC, maximum input voltage 48 V DC
|Approximately 2 W|
Plug and play
−40 ◦C to +70 ◦C
Wireless Kvaser Air Bridge installation guide