The Wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS configuration-free (00808-3 and 01141-0) is approved for the European Union, while (01008-6 and 01148-9) Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC) is optimized for the US.
They both share the same functionality but have different radio transmitting schemes due to regulatory differences.
I. Major features Wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC)
- A preconfigured pair of units that acts as a wireless CAN system gateway between two CAN networks.
- 4 GHz proprietary protocol.
- Point to point radio link.
- Internal antenna design, antenna output power max 18 dBm.
- Automatic baud rate detection (125K, 250K, 500K, 1M).
- Supports both 11-bit (CAN 2.0A) and 29-bit (CAN 2.0B active) identifiers.
- High-Speed CAN connection (compliant with ISO 11898-2), up to 1 Mbit/s.
- Power supplied through the CAN bus interface.
- Rugged aluminum housing.
- Plug and play, driver free, and configuration free.
II. Certificate of compliance
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC) (EAN: 73-30130-01008-6) has been tested and found to comply with part 15 of FCC Rules.
III. Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS hardware
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS consists of two preconfigured and paired CAN bus units. Just connect and power them through your CAN system, no user configuration, software tools or drivers are required.
- When connected to your system, the two units will determine the bit rate used by the attached CAN systems using Automatic Baud Rate Detection (autobaud). Once the autobaud detection has completed successfully, the units will transmit CAN messages back and forth until the units are powered down.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS will only forward CAN messages between the two attached CAN networks. Error frames and arbitration information will not be forwarded since this information is only applicable for the local physical network.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS has one CAN Hi-Speed channel with a CAN connector depending on the model. Either a 9-pin D-SUB or a 5-pin M12 Male connector is used.
- The Wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC) configuration-free is powered through the CAN connector. To operate the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS, you must supply 9 V-36 V DC power through the CAN connector.
- The functions of the LED indicators on the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS are shown in Table
CAN channel status, indicate received and sent messages.
|Radio Link status, indicate received radio packets and signal strength.|
Power indicates that the unit has been powered on and baud rates are established.
* Before power is indicated, the LEDs briefly perform an LED test, indicate states related to the establishment of the radio link and indicate state of the autobaud detection.
- The Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS provides an Autobaud Detection feature which will automatically detect and connect to any of the following CAN network bit rates:
- The Autobaud Detection is done locally, so a Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS can be used to bridge two different CAN networks operating at different bit rates. However, the amount of traffic on the networks will determine whether the system designer should allow the networks to be bridged via the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS.
* Autobaud is the process of automatically selecting the correct bus parameters for communication on the connected CAN bus based on received CAN traffic. The Autobaud Detection is driven by the reception of CAN messages on the CAN network. This means that there needs to be existing CAN traffic on the network for the Autobaud Detection to work.
- If, after 15 seconds of power on, only one of the paired units have done a successful Autobaud Detection, the other unit will be configured to the same CAN network bit rate. The Autobaud Detection will continue even after 15 seconds, if none of the supported CAN system bit rates have been detected on either of the connected CAN networks.
* If the Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS is used to bridge two different CAN networks operating at different bit rates, both CAN networks needs to send messages during the initial 15 seconds after power on in order for the Autobaud Detection to correctly detect the different bit rates.
- For any additional/specific bit rate requirement, please contact GMGA for more info.
IV. Technical data Wireless CAN bridge Kvaser Air Bridge Light HS (FCC) configuration-free
Antenna Output Power
|Max 18 dBm approx.|
CAN Bit Rate
|Autobaud at 1 Mbit/s, 500 Kbit/s, 250 Kbit/s and 125 Kbit/s|
|DSUB 9 Male|
|30 x 151 x 17 mm|
2.405 GHz to 2.477 GHz
|Operating Temperature Range||
-40 °C to +70 °C
2.4 GHz Gaussian Frequency-Shiſt Keying (GFSK) with Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) modulation
Wireless Kvaser Air Bridge installation guide